Conservation and presentation of the marble statues
The Old Centaur and Young Centaur in gray marble, dating to the second century AD, rank among the most notable items in the Capitoline collection, and have been displayed in the main hall of the Palazzo Nuovo since 1765, when Pope Clement XIII purchased them and donated them to the museum. The statues are of extremely high technical and artistic quality, and figure among the most significant pieces of ancient sculpture. The CCA’s conservation treatment has returned them to their ancient splendor.
The statues’ exceptional nature, their location in a key area of the Capitoline Museums, and the great delicacy and fascination of the restoration treatment offered an opportunity to transform the traditional “closed for restoration” worksite into an “open” cultural event offering communication and transmission of historical, archaeological, technical and conservation information about the works.