The red-marble Faun was found in Hadrian’s Villa, Tivoli, in 1736, and donated to the Capitoline Museums by Pope Benedict XIV in 1746. A copy of a late Hellenistic original, it dates to the second century AD. The sculpture’s high technical and artistic quality makes it one of the most significant documents of ancient sculpture.
The conservation treatment performed by the CCA, Centro di Conservazione Archeologica, provided an opportunity to study the original materials through direct observation and scientific analyses, thereby also identifying inserts done during an earlier restoration.
Surface cleaning to remove dust and altered protective coatings applied over the centuries brought to light the traces of ancient techniques and yielded new knowledge about the statue and its production.
The statue is one of the most popular masterpieces in the Capitoline Museum, and the conservation treatment, carried out with doors open to the public, was a cultural event that enriched the visits of thousands of visitors.