About this publication
In: Donati A. (ed.). 1984. Il museo epigrafico. Colloquio AIEGL-Borghesi ’83. Faenza: Fratelli Lega 1984, 541-550.
The underground gallery (Galleria di Congiunzione) linking the Capitoline palazzos of Rome was built at the end of the 1930s underneath Piazza del Campidoglio. In 1957, on the occasion of the Third International Congress of Greek and Latin Epigraphy, an exhibition of about 1400 marble inscriptions of Roman times on the walls of the gallery was inaugurated, but it closed to the public twenty years later for humidity. The marble inscriptions, walled up in the side walls suffered serious damage, making it impossible to keep them in place. Thanks to the interest and sensitivity of Dr. M. Mattei, head of the epigraphic sector of the Capitoline Museums, a conservation program was launched, of which this paper is a brief presentation, entrusted to the Centro di Conservazione Archeologica.
Author(s): Nardi R.
Year Published: 1984
Language / Translations: Italiano