About this publication
In: Mosaics No. 5 / Mosaicos n ° 5 : conservación in situ. Proceedings of the Triennial International Meeting on Conservation of Mosaics, Palencia, 1990. 333-340.
This article described the experience of the 1th International Course for the Safeguard of Archaeological Mosaics, held in Rome, 19 September – 13 October 1990. The course was organized by ICCROM and ICR . We feel that it could be of general interest, for it provided the means and the occasion to examine various points:
- the state of conservation of archaeological mosaics in situ;
- the reasons for a situation that appears extremely serious in our view, and possible conditions for improving it;
- the relationship between specialized aspects, such as interventions on the mosaic per se, and management and conservation on the scale of the entire site;
- professional training of directors and personnel responsible for the sites themselves;
- the disparity of technical approach and theoretical foundation behind many proposed interventions.
Author(s): Melucco, A., Nardi, R. and de Guichen, G.
Year Published: 1990
Language / Translations: English